The mandate of software quality assurance (QA) has to be done for ensuring stable software so that is bug-free for a smooth new release. A software development company taking it lightly to do this will lag behind their workflows as it has to be rightly incorporated. This majorly benefits agile methodologies in software development services to facilitate speed, scalability, and coverage.
And the prime focus of software QA is to ensure end-users or customers get the highest possible quality for the software being developed. There will be effective elimination of potential issues when the right software quality assurance techniques are implemented by thoughtful companies in any of their software development services to ensure a splendid user experience for customers.This is why effective implementation of software QA practices is given crucial weightage by any software development company for enhanced improvement in their software development lifecycle (SDLC). The quality of the software is substantially improved, as it unfailingly meets end-users requirements and all of the enterprise's needs.
So follow the below software quality assurance (QA) practices to help you gain the most efficient testing processes and methodologies for perfecting your software.
Most Efficient Software Quality Assurance (QA) Practices
Define Testing Goals and Requirements
The initial stages in software development services have always got to do with the weighing of client’s expectations and testing requirements. For that -
- Be aware of issues the clients want to resolve through testing and the benchmarks used to assess the success of the same. By doing so, a software development company can design the right workflows, attain more clarity based on client needs, and estimate the resources required.
- Prioritize and investigate testing procedures on product specifications, its functionality, list of features, and discover or know the primary product users and how they’re going to use it.
- Brief the clients about all different testing processes carried out for individual products according to their specificity to help clients decide which types of testing they want in their project.
- Have well-defined report formats, and provide accurate testing results concerning bugs, important information and also discuss the conditions and frequency of regression testing and retesting.
- Establish clear meeting schedules and communication channels between the software QA team and the client. Make sure clients specify their person of contact for project clarification or more information, and know about any requirements for non-standard reports on test descriptions, test reports, or time reports.
- For the software QA team, it means a better assessment of the scope of tasks to be performed as it will help them map out the testing process accordingly. The client will have a clear definition of the capabilities of the software development services, and its QA team to achieve client goals with pleasing results. It will also ensure in delivering client-expected results to satisfy them in the end so that the software development company gains a good rep.
- For the client, it means complete awareness about the software quality assurance team’s workflows, the full scope of testing tasks, estimate services’ costs, overall QA timeline, the due date for the testing process so that the client can plan the software’s release date and start building potential campaigns for its marketing. This way of clarifying things will help clients have realistic expectations and results that are more likely to meet their goals.
Construct Well-designed Workflows
- Establishing clear workflows positively impacts successful software quality assurance checks and a proficient software development company does testing in various phases.
- Initially, a test plan has to be created to act as guidance to the testing process throughout development where the team specifies the scope of project tasks, the deadline for completing the testing process, and the software development services’ cost.
- Fetch information on the tested software’s domain, and investigate all project requirements to ensure meeting quality benchmarks so that the team can understand specific requirements of the product that meet equivalent business needs.
- Next is functional testing where software quality assurance teams test each product feature to ensure they work as intended to be and according to specifications.
- Upon updating or adding features to the software product, it is vital to run automated test cases (regression testing). This helps evaluate the flawlessness of existing functionalities, without creating new bugs or system crashes from new updates or builds to ensure product stability.
- Carry out summarized test reporting regularly for each testing activity with its final results. This procedure aims to make stakeholders aware of the current product quality, progress of testing, and to ensure greater control over the software quality assurance process, leading to efficient workflows.
- Assign every software QA team member with precise roles and responsibilities for completing tasks or deliverables. Use a responsibility assignment (RACI) matrix or linear responsibility chart for this which will also help in consulting or informing the concerned person about specific project-related matters.
- The QA team of a software development company will have clearly defined or specific roles and responsibilities for boosting workflows and overall efficiency. It will help narrow down reworks and delays.
- Clients will have awareness of the full scope of testing duties, estimated prices of the software development services, and activity timeline of testing. It ensures transparency and cooperation with the team due to well-defined workflows and regular reporting facilitating enhanced productivity, cost-effectiveness, and streamlined workflows narrowing down the time to market factor.
Industry Standard Compliance Checks
Performing compliance testing services that ensure the software/product belonging to a specific industry/jurisdiction adheres to the same’s regulations and standards to meet all requirements.
- A highly knowledgeable or specialist software quality assurance team capable of performing perfect industry compliance testing will always be in-demand and attracts potential clients across various industries/markets.
- Clients can save themselves from being imposed hefty fines if their product is compliant with the specific domain requirements, which ensure high security in safeguarding end users’ personal information from being breached.
Incorporate Both Automated and Manual Testing
While both approaches have their perks and subtlety, it is advised to combine the two in any software development services as it will prove more powerful to identify issues and for enhanced reporting.
- Combining automated and manual testing expedites the testing process and enhances the quality of the product, and also helps in creating a software quality assurance team that packs broad skillsets and competencies.
- Clients can benefit from checking different areas and functionalities of their software product and will have an increase in test coverage – which is a success evaluation metric for the same. Automated testing generates autotests to be used again if any future code modification and support have to be made.
Risk-based Testing Should be Implemented
It helps in identifying the most harmful risks to assess how it affects a project, and by prioritizing them, can be used accordingly to map out the testing process. Hence more focus can be driven by software quality assurance engineers on the most critical risks which can potentially hamper the overall product performance.
- Early implementation of risk-based testing helps software quality assurance teams in simplifying code architecture for easier testing of the product. More focus is laid on issues that would surface while using the product and reduces testing activity variations.
- Clients can get high-quality software without the need to check entire product functionalities if there is a dedicated focus from the QA team of a software development company in testing out the most bug-prone functionalities.
Regression Testing has to be Performed Frequently
The software QA team uses previously performed tests in the SDLC vital to ensure the product works as it should without affecting the software product’s core, when it gets new updates, features, or builds.
- Regression testing allows detailed documentation for performing autotests. It documents system specifications, test designs, bug reports, operator results, and other software-related information vital to testing engineers. The documentation can be used by developers, and stakeholders as well. It also helps testing engineers ensure the new add-ons don’t affect the software’s stability and core so that its quality level is always high.
- Clients get bug-free software products and the use of automated tests by QA engineers speeds up the QA checks to facilitate simple processes for software updates.
Use Shift Left Testing
An early testing process in the SDLC that identifies and eliminates bugs in the design phase without the need to do it after the completion of the development phase. This is a more cost-effective approach than the traditional method of testing which is only done when development is complete.
- Shift left testing facilitates strong collaboration between software QA teams and developer teams, where QA engineers will have a possible influence in initial product development. Identifying bugs in an early stage can highly improve software quality.
- Clients will get accelerated and cost-effective software development services, with reduced time to market factors.
These are the best software quality assurance processes a development company should follow for high-quality product development. And a software QA team adhering to quality-rich and best practices can make the process smoother, probable, and capable of being safely directed, influenced, regulated or limited.